So back to the inner West we are! I lived here with husbo about 11 or 12 years ago, a foot loose fancy free working couple…my how things have changed!
For starters the cafe/restaurant culture is amazing but how long can you sit at a cafe with 3 kids??? So here is what we get up to on this side of town!
Firstly the inner west is so wide spread so might need to do as a series. Will start with Marrickville and Petersham.
The kids love Enmore park so I usually stop by West Juliett cafe for coffee, fresh juice and some pumpkin bread. This is a great local haunt! Modern, fresh and great quality food! We take our goodies to the park and love a Thursday when the yellow bus arrives!(check Marrickville council for this great initiative in kids play and also parents to meet). The bus pulls up and sets up kids stations such as playdoh, duplo, face painting, games etc.
Also around Marrickville is the organic markets…8.30-3pm Sunday (143 Addison road) best in fresh fruit and veg, cakes, sweets, plants etc…specializing in certified organic fruit and veg.
Top five of Marrickville.
- Two chaps cafe is a cool local haunt in a suburban street, the roller door swings up and locals spill out to the footpath sipping coffee and snacking on pastries. The lunches are delicious and also now opens for dinner Thurs and Fri night! Pasta made on site and amazing desserts!! ✔️
- Double roasters is the best in the business for coffee and also a great breaky and lunch menu. Hit up some takeaway and take across the road to the park.
- The Henson pub is a great one for the kiddies! Order your food and then take a seat in the courtyard area where there is a big play house for the kids…it can be a little hectic but great food and family atmosphere.
- Cornersmith cafe is also a winner! Using locally sourced fresh produce and a cool fitout! This is prob a better one without the kiddos. Sit at the bar with a mag and enjoy the local scene.
- That vintage shop…big store full of antique and vintage finds. Furniture, lighting, kitchen wear and everything in between.
- The Park is the first stop in this quiet leafy Suburb. Petersham park is gorgeous! Located down the end of Brighton street which also has lovely cafés for some takeaways for the park. There is also Petersham pool for the hot Summer days and the best lunch in town is Pig and Pastry on the Station Street side! Healthy and hearty salads, sandwiches and pastries and also has the occasional dinner dates throughout the year.
- There’s some great cafés on Audley street (near the Station). Our fave is The Grumpy barista which has great coffee and yummy lunches, you can make your own salad by choosing the salad base, then protein etc…also the best pastries and sweets including the Nutella injected Cronut! Oh my! And The Counter a few doors up for burgers and top lunch menu too!
- Daisys is the sweetest little vintage milk bar on Stanmore Road, A kind of Happy Days Diner feel. Sage and I go for an old school milk shake after ballet, lunches are also great and with school holidays on at the moment, we love dippy eggs, milkshake and a little lolly bag. So sweet! Oh and Mumma loves the fig, ricotta and pomegranate on sourdough as pictured above!!
- Just at the end of Petersham as you hit Stanmore station is our fave, Papercup cafe, small, super cool fitout! Red brick with glass windows and ultra cool lighting! Best coffee in the Inner west! Big call but I’m claiming it plus great egg dishes, lunch and pastries.
- There’s also a lot going on on Parramatta road including the most delicious chocolate shop, Belle Fleur, and the best Portugese Chicken shops, thanks to the huge Portugese influence going on here.
So there’s a few of our top finds, I have really only scratched the surface here, so much more going on but a good start to keep the caffeine fueled mum going! And kids happy!
- Both wear Nununu ➕ shorts, skirt and tee from Milk Bar Group
- Kingston wears Jax and Hedley tee and bobo shoes by veja
- Sage also wears country road shoes, A Weathered Penny panda necklace & Mini Rodini beanie
- Last pic Kingston wears whistle & flute tee, iglo & indi pants and Sage Rock your baby dress.
Next will be my favourite little village of Summer Hill x b